Fuchs on the Case: Chili
Posted by Rebekah Wicke on 1/31/17
In this "Fuchs On the Case" investigation, we take a look at how our R&D team helped a customer solve their seasoning challenges by creating a dynamic new chili seasoning when there wasn't a flavor target to guide development.
- Help a food manufacturing client introduce canned chili varieties by creating a winning seasoning profile for branded and private-label product offerings.
Method of Investigation
- Develop a chili seasoning that delivers great quality and great taste within strict cost parameters.
- Start with a completely "blank slate" ... because our client had no flavor target or match in mind.
- The flavor profile would need to please our client as well as one of its key private-label customers.
- We experimented with numerous formulations, then offered a zesty Southwestern profile for our client's consideration.
- This profile was liked best compared to all the samples submitted by other seasoning vendors.
- It also pleased an important international private-label grocery chain customer.
- Only minor tweaks were needed to adjust the flavor profile submitted. Seasoning shipments began less than two months after the very first discussions with this new Fuchs client.
The Bottom-Line Success:
- Our deep knowledge in seasoning development and consumer taste preference provided the basis - and inspiration - for creating the winning flavor profile.
- Solid project management plus close collaboration between all parties (including the all-important private-label customer) dramatically compressed the time to market.
- Our client now has delightfully delicious branded and private-label additions to its canned chili line, with strong sales potential.
What flavor challenges do you face? Bring your unsolved cases to us! For more information about our Product R&D, click here.
- Fuchs Admin